Here is a list of some of the typical community activities that our students from Egg in Nest studio have worked on. In some cases the event was a fund raiser. In some cases the activity was designed to build awareness. In other cases the activity was just to be of service to the community. Each class selects the fund raiser for the semester.
- Triangle Land Conservatory. Our fundraiser for TLC helped them protect 19 new properties totally over 1,800 acres of places we love here in the Triangle.
- Sri Lanka Tsunami Recovery. Our fund raiser in conjunction with a local coffee shop gave parents, customers, and passer-bys the chance to vote on their favorite work of art from over 70 displays. Each vote costs $1 which went to the charity, Adopt Sri Lanka.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Art work done by students was contributed to the fund raiser and auctioned off to benefit the Komen Foundation for cancer research.
- World Wildlife Fund. Art work was hung in a local coffee house and voted on by the community at $1 per vote with all proceeds going to protect wildlife around the world. Fund raiser proceeds were stolen from the coffee house, nearly $400, and a local church heard about the theft from local newspaper coverage and stepped in to replace all the money that was raised and then stolen.
- St. Francis Wellness Center. Contributed money from the Heart Art Fund Raiser in honor of parent and friend of the studio Barbara Garlock to support wellness in the community.
- St. Joseph’s Home for Boys and The Trinity House in Haiti. School and art supplies were collected in a special drive and shipped to this special home to raise spirits of these young people.
- Music Maker Relief Foundation. Proceeds from a studio art show and fund raiser were donated to Feed an Artist For a Year program to help keep the blues alive after hurricane Katrina.
- NC Food Bank. An Art Exhibition, a food collection and fund raiser was held to help replenish the NC Food Bank to get ready for a very cold winter.
- Wounded Warrior Program. Art by the students was donated and shipped to the Army Burn Unit in Houston TX to raise the spirits of soldiers injured in combat and facing long-term recovery from their wounds.
- United Arts Council. Art contributed to support the art council’s special programs and fund raiser “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?”
- National Poetry Month. Egg in Nest students along with regional poets have teamed up for the past three years to celebrate National Poetry Month. Poetry, spoken word, dance , music and art have come together at the Halle Cultural Art Center in Apex NC. This is way more than your average recital!!!
Purpose: The students learn how to use their art talents to benefit and inspire others in the world.